Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Going Back To The Start

Going back and starting something after you've really got stuck in can be... daunting but, unfortunately, it can be necessary.

For example, last night I was writing when suddenly I realised, rather irritatingly, that the setting just wasn't working for the story and the image I wanted to get across to the reader. I wasn't impressed to say the least. I spent a good ten minutes annoyed out of mind that the characters and plot which I had been working so hard on was at risk of not fitting together- of not working- because of the setting being badly written, badly thought out and just plain unbelievable.

I was just about ready to throw in the towel, to go and look at a whole new idea when I took a deep breath and, reluctantly, went back to the drawing board.

Image courtesy of Google

The reason? I reminded myself of why I was writing the story, of the loyalty I felt towards my characters and my need to get them back on the page and out there in the world. I went back to the drawing board because I knew if I gave in, I would spend the rest of the month (at least) kicking myself or wishing that I carried on.

It can be tough when we have to go back and re-write a scene or a conversation or even (heaven forbid) a chapter but if what you're writing is truly worth it and you're committed to it than you'll stick with it- no matter how tempting it may be to give up.

Things To Remember When You Want To Quit
  1. Why you are writing this? Maybe you feel compelled to, maybe you feel as though you have a message you want to share with the world. It may even be as simple as you being unable to get the story out of your head and you need to get it out of your system.
  2. How will you feel if you quit? Will you be kicking yourself? Will you find yourself wishing that you could just pick up where you left off? Or will you be relieved that the pressure is gone?
  3. How difficult is it to change what's needed? If it's a scene, plan out how you want it to go. With my change of setting, I've thought about what I need to be there for scenes to work yet what will help set the tone of the story.
  4. Take a deep breath and step away, see if you feel the same. Sometimes the pressure can get to us and we need to go and take a breather before we can make a clear judgement. Don't make a rash decision- think it through.

Have any tips of your own? Share them below!