Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Had A Bad Day? Use It!

We've all had one of those days where something has happened or nothing will go right and we're just about ready to tear our hair out! Well you know what? Take a deep breath and store it for later. Nothing makes a story more realistic than examples of real life events.
Now, for the sake of continued employment, I'm not saying quote it word for word! But if you have a boss from hell or a job that just generally grates on your nerves just grit your teeth, smile sweetly and note it all down for later.
Image courtesy of Google
 
Here's a quick example. I wasn't having the worst day but I'll admit I had a very irritating phone call and look what came from it:
'I rubbed at the space between my brows as I felt a headache approaching over the horizon. Loud, raucous laughter emitted from the small kitchen to the side, forcing me to cover the ear that wasn't pressed against the off-white receiver as I struggled to make out the garbled words coming from the other side of the line.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that..."
"Uttoxeter!"
Pulling a face at the woman's sharp tone, I jotted down the next line of the address. "And your postcode, please?"
As she continued a rant about the incompetence of youth now-a-days, the sight of my co-worker sneaking her bag out of her drawer and creeping out of her chair caused me to press the phone against my chest and glare at her. "Oh no, no no no! Not again Gemma!"
She glanced quickly towards the small room filled with our colleagues before slipping on her jacket and zipping it up. "It's not a big deal, I'm just slipping out for a bit."
"No- I'm not covering for you again! I'm sick of you doing this and landing me in it!"
"Oh come on- please? Just say that the school's called and I've got to pick up Will to take him to the child-minder's."
"You used the same excuse last week!"
She pouted as she tucked her chair back under her desk. "Just, please? I'm sure you'll come up with something!" As the others began to trickle out of the kitchen, she gave a quick wave. "See you later, yeah? I'll be half an hours, tops..."
"Gemma!" As she hurried off, I craned my head around the corner to see the door shut behind her. "Gemma!"
Clenching my fist tightly in frustration, I swore under my breath. The rising pitch coming from the receiver brought me back into focus and, after sighing, I reluctantly brought it back to my ear. "Sorry, ma'am. Can you repeat that please?"'

So give it a go! You may just come up with something brilliant. Besides, it's a great way to get rid of your frustration...

Leave a comment or let me know about your worst day of work!

Lou x