Friday, 6 December 2013

'Tis The Time To Be Thankful

I've been meaning to write a post about this issue for a while. I don't mean to preach about it or to make anyone feel bad but I think that it is an issue that can be so easily overlooked- especially at this time of year where we are bombarded with commercials and the modern pressures of what to get for Christmas.

The issue I want to talk about is to be grateful of what you already have now.

In my experience, I often come across people who seem dissatisfied with what they have. They seem to want to constantly improve what they have, whether that be personally or professionally. How often do we hear the saying, "I need..."? I need a new pair of boots. I need a new mobile.

People don't need these things. They want them. As I said, this is not meant to be a lecture- not at all- we are all guilty of not fully appreciating what we have. I think we just need to be reminded sometimes- all of us.

My Mum has recently been helping out the Salvation Army (a charity that helps the homeless) by sowing blankets into sleeping bags to help keep people living on the streets warm. She told me the other day how, when she was helping to prepare food with the charity so that people who came into the centre could have a hot meal, a man walked in telling her that he had gotten her a Christmas present. He rummaged in his pockets to pull out... a polo. He'd gotten this mint and had saved it for weeks (judging by its appearance) to give it to my Mum. Even though this man had barely anything, he was still thinking of others.

Image courtesy of Google
(The picture above is a picture I always look at when I feel as though I am struggling. It reminds me of just how lucky I am.)

Earlier, I was stood at the bus stop when a man came over. He was unsteady on his feet and his eyes were slightly blood-shot. He started speaking to me, clearly just wanting the company, and began to tell me about how he's had two drinks of vodka and how the 'demon drink' had got him again. He'd missed an appointment at a training provider as he'd been drinking and he was vowing how he'd 'try again on the 8th January' as it was late in the year and it was near Christmas.

This season, I ask just one thing. Enjoy the season by all means: spend time with your family, have a day full of joy and laughter- hold those you love close. But please, please remember how lucky you are.

Think of those people out there who are not as fortunate- who can only dream of worrying over what to get people for Christmas and not where they're going to sleep tonight or when they'll get another meal. Think of the people who will be battling their own demons as they try to keep on track this season when they're surrounded by all this temptation.

I don't mean for this post to depress anyone- that is far from my intention- but it is something I hold very close to my heart and that I wanted to share.

Thoughts? Comments? Please share them below.