Tuesday, 28 January 2014

How Do We Measure Success?

To be able to answer that question, you first need to know what that is.

According to dictionaries, (while the wording may be a bit different) it is generally defined as:
"The accomplishment of an aim or purpose."
But what does that mean, really? What most people fail to understand is that everyone has their own version- their own idea of what it means to be successful. There isn't one set definition that we can all fit under. What may mean success for one person may be inconsequential to another.

Image from Google
A lot of people, when they think of success, think of having a big career with lots of money and being happy all of the time. Yet, how many times have you heard of people who are at the top of a company or have won the lottery and wish that things could be different? That wish they had families or that things could go back to the way they were?

We spend so long working towards something- to what we consider will make us successful- that we forget what we have already achieved or what's already right in front of our face.

This reminds me of a favourite quote of mine from John Lennon:

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life."


Success is what you make of it.

For some people this is reaching or accomplishing a goal they've strived towards for years. For others, it is receiving high praise for something they've worked hard on.

To me, success is happiness. Success is when you are surrounded by those you love and you feel safe and secure because that feeling of contentment is priceless. There is no greater gift- no greater prize than that.

What does success mean to you? How do you consider yourself to be successful? Share your thoughts below!