Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Things I Wished I Had Known When I Started Writing

I've been thinking a lot about the past lately, or more specifically, the way my perspective and knowledge of writing and the world around me has evolved in the years.

As I thought about the lessons I had learnt along the way, I started to thing over all of the things I had learnt and began to list them in my head.


Courtesy of sodahead.com

 
  1. There is no such thing as a brilliant first draft. They're renowned for being bad! Just give yourself a pat on the back for getting it all down and sticking with it then take a deep breath and prepare to edit.
  2. Whether it be in writing or in life, you will make mistakes. To err is human, after all. Mistakes are important and necessary as they help us to grow and to become a better person. Don't beat yourself up if you go wrong just think on where it did and how you can remedy it- you will be better for it in the end.
  3. Learn to scrap an idea. You've come up with an idea- fantastic! But sometimes you have to recognise when you need to let them go. The trick is to take the time to brainstorm ideas or write them all down and them route for the gems you can really run with.
  4. Write, write, write! It may be a given, but when you start off it's new and exciting and you can't ever imagine not loving the time you have with your laptop. Yet, reality does get in the way and we can push it back or procrastinate when it comes to writing bits that don't particularly excite us. (see more on procrastination here)
  5. Always carry a notepad with you. Ideas are a bit like dodge balls- they can hit you at any moment! No, seriously, I got an idea over a bus ticket the other morning!
What would you tell your younger, writing, self? Can you think of anything I've missed and want to add? Feel free to share your ideas below!