Saturday, 11 January 2014

Looking Back To See Forwards

On Thursday night, I found myself sat in my room thinking about how much things had changed in the last few years. It really surprised me to see how much my perspective had changed in such a short amount of time. Where I had once thought of a time of my life with nothing but anger and sadness, I now found myself thinking back on happier times with the person involved, I wasn't completely focussed on the hurt they caused but could instead think of the times when they put a smile on my face.

Sometimes we become so focussed on where we're headed- on what we're aiming for in the future- that we forget to think back on how far we've come.

As we continue on with out lives we forget all that we have achieved- how we have found solutions for all of those problems that we thought we had no chance of ever moving past, of how we learnt to move past heartbreak to make happier memories.

Image courtesy of Google/The Guardian
It serves as a good reminder, when we are faced with a particularly tough time, that we have come through what we once thought of as the 'impossible'.

Whenever you feel as though you can't carry on or the challenge that you face it just to great, think of what you have already done. It doesn't even have to be something news worthy! If it was important to you that's all that mattered.

Let me give an example. Last year my confidence had a huge knockback. I'd finished sixth form and after a verbal lashing by various teachers for not going to university, I was looking for some form of employment. As the months went by and several failed starts, I was really starting to feel it- I took it personally and my confidence was really beginning to wane. I was at a really low point and it was decided that I was to have one last interview and that if it didn't go well then I would have to phone to make an appointment to apply for benefits the next day. It felt like it was all or nothing and I felt emotionally and mentally exhausted.

I went for the interview and was incredibly nervous but I actually rather enjoyed myself. We had to do team building exercises, one of which was build the highest tower we could uses dried spaghetti and marshmallows, and it was really nice to be able to relax and enjoy myself after months of stress and worry. And, you know what? I got a call later that day: they were offering me the apprenticeship.

Now I find that my confidence is returning and all those months of anguish and frustration are just another part of my journey to get where I was meant to be all along.

The point of what I'm trying to say here is this: the problems you are facing, the anxiety of what is to come will soon be in the past along with all the others that you have conquered. Whether it be writing a novel or poem or screenplay or maybe even how you are going to cope with a problem with work, you will move past it.

The solution is inevitable- it is just a case of looking at the light at the end of the tunnel and knowing that good things are sure to come.

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them below!