Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Weakness

To describe anxiety to someone who does not suffer from it, in a way that they can truly understand, is nearly impossible.

Some of you who read this may automatically know what I am talking about. You may be able to understand what I'm referring to when I describe that feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach and the trembling that takes over at the thought of the simplest things.

To those of you who don't, think back on a time where you have been incredibly nervous. This may have been with an exam or maybe if you had to speak publically. How about your wedding day?
Think back on those jitters that you felt, on that dry mouth and clammy hands. It's a horrible feeling isn't it?

Now imagine feeling like that in the morning before going to work or going out to meet some friends.

With my anxiety, I know that it's completely irrational. I know that the worst that could happen is a panic attack (which isn't a nice experience in itself and is not to be taken lightly) but the fear escalates to such a scale that it becomes hard to think straight.

Image courtesy of Google


You may be wondering why I've chosen to write about this. The truth of the matter is that I felt it was important to be honest. To confess my weakness.

We all have them but in our society it's as though we have to mask them- to deny that we each have our own issues we struggle with.
What's more, as writers, it is important that we are open about who we are- not only to write about a message or give people an escape with our creations but to set an example for others that it's OK to be vulnerable- that it's alright to be yourself warts and all in a time where we feel as though we can't be.

Writing this post hasn't been easy- it has made me think a lot about how I see myself and the problems I have to face.

My name is Mary Lou Fletcher and my weakness is that I struggle with anxiety.

What's yours?