Saturday, 25 January 2014

Why Being Impulsive Isn't Always A Bad Thing

When I was at work the other day, I decided that I needed to get out and do something different. I didn't know what I was going to do, I didn't know when I was going to go but I knew that I needed to break away from routine and just get out there.

On Thursday, I decided that I was going to go to the city centre, on my own, and see where the day took me. I printed off a few maps- just so that I didn't get completely lost- but I didn't have any major plans for the day apart from popping into the library to have a quick look around.

I did it this morning. I looked up when the next couple of buses were, got ready and got on one. The rest of the day, I just played it by ear. I wandered about a bit, ended up getting a little lost and wet admittedly, but overall it was a decent day.

Courtesy of Google
You may be wondering why I am telling you about this. Often we hear how impulsive behaviour can have bad consequences- how our recklessness can cause problems for us further down the line but what about the good consequences? What about the benefits of taking a chance and doing something out of the ordinary?

Today proved to me how far I had come in regards to building my confidence as well as show me how I was capable of doing pretty much anything if I set my mind to it.

There was no pressure- no limitations as to how long I could be out for. I didn't have to check with anyone where I could go or if they wanted to do anything; today was about me having a mini adventure all by myself and you know what? It was rather refreshing.

We could all do with being a bit more impulsive sometimes. We can hold ourselves back by confining ourselves to our routines, our little day by day actions and schedules where there is so much more out there we could be experiencing.

Of course I'm not saying that we should be compulsive all of the time, we do all have our own commitments and comfort zones of course, but to fully appreciate them and to make the most of life we sometimes have to venture outside and take in the world around us.

What's the most impulsive thing that you've ever done? Let me know below.