Monday, 17 March 2014

Why its OK not to be OK

I'm not in a good place right now. I wouldn't go as far to say that my life is bad or that I'm in a horrible situation but, to be honest, I'm just not happy.
I'm crying a lot-even at things which I have no need to cry over- but that's just the way I am feeling at the moment and, you know what? That's OK.

Obviously, it's not 'OK' in the sense that I'm feeling pretty down at the moment- hopefully the sooner that's sorted and out of my system the better- but it's OK to admit to it. It's OK not to be OK.
Image from weheartit.com

I think that we forget that sometimes. I think that we forget that it's alright to hold your hands up and say, "You know what? I need some help."


As the picture above mentions, it's an automatic response to lie. Even when we're feeling rotten, we can't seem to admit to it. We seem to feel that to offer any other response than 'I'm fine' makes people feel uncomfortable and awkward.

But you know what? The majority of people who ask that question are genuinely concerned over your welfare. What's more, there isn't a single person out there who has never had a time in their lives where life hasn't been perfect. It's just the way that it goes sometimes.

Life is never simple, it gives us knocks every now and then- it's the knowledge that we'll find a way back on our feet that keeps us going. (Tweet that)

Remember, you're not alone.

When you're not alright, you're allowed to admit to it. You won't be breaking any laws or breaking any social conventions, you're just being honest about how you're feeling.

And, you know what? If people were more truthful about their feelings, they might make others feel as though they could admit their own.

By admitting your feelings, you're giving others the permission to do the same.

By admitting that you're not feeling great, you're opening the barriers and allowing others to express themselves. The conversation becomes more meaningful.

If we were all a little bit more honest about our feelings, the world could be a lot happier place.

Could you be a bit more honest with how you're feeling? Or is there someone in your life who could do with a really good heart-to-heart? Let me know you're thought in the comments!