Tuesday, 20 May 2014

The Three Fastest Ways To Guarantee Burnout

Feeling tired? Achy? Or are you have a persistent headache that is lasting days a at a time? Welcome to the wonderful world of burnout.

Image from Google

Burnout is your body's way of telling you that it's had enough and that it needs rest. It can affect your performance at work, disrupt your home and social life and reek havoc on your health.

Keeping this in mind, let's look at the top three ways to get into this state.

1. Taking on every single job going... and its spouse.
You literally can't stop. Every task or piece of work tat needs doing you've volunteered for to the point that your 'To Do List' has its very own 'To Do List'.

Most recognisable from the following phrase: "Sure I'll type that up for you- right after I've sorted out my finances, called up this guy, watered my Mum's plants, bought a present for my friend who forgot it was her sister's birthday tomorrow..."

2. Giving yourself unrealistic deadli- (timer goes)
This includes such things as having a presentation ready for the next day, projects done in two and everything else in the next hour.

Admittedly, this can't always be avoided but if you have left everything to the last minute, don't ask for an extension on time or have given yourself unrealistic targets burnout is guaranteed.

Most recognisable from the following phrase: "So let me get this straight: I need to have gone through that pile of work, a presentation made up of fifty slides and two policies by tomorrow morning? I'm sure everything will be fine, right? Right?"

3. Neglecting... damn it, what's it called again? Oh yeah, sleep...
Lack of sleep is one of the quickest ways to achieve burnout. We need sleep to function. It helps to keep us focussed and able to think things through properly. It keeps us rational and helps us to handle day-to-day challenges so by missing out on sleep we find it more difficult to look after ourselves.

Most recognisable from the following phrase: "Yeah, I'm exhausted. I didn't get much sleep last night but I've got too much to do."

Burnout is not a warning sign, it's the end result of not taking care of yourself and your body is stepping in. I know it's hard sometimes but take care of yourself. After all, your health needs to come first.

I'll leave you with these final words from the Dalai Lama...

Image from Google

 
Which of the three above are you most guilty of? Let me know!