Sunday, 6 July 2014

Top Tips For Publishing An Ebook On Amazon

As you may or may not be aware, this week I published my first ever eBook called 'Youth Centre SOS' (the link to which can be found at the end of this post).

To be quite honest, it was terrifying! I felt as though I was diving headfirst into the unknown without any kind of parachute. While it was exhilarating and filled me with a great sense of achievement I would have loved for some guidance when starting the progress.

So here are my top tips on publishing with Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing).

Image from Google
  1. No matter where you are publishing from, you have to supply your tax information. Even if you are not a member of the USA, you have to fill out this field as otherwise, you can't publish anything. Which brings me onto the second thing...
  2. Even if you live in Europe, don't worry about being taken to the Amazon.com site of KDP- you're on the right site! This really confused me when I started! After several Google searches I found out that I was on the right site but I was still pretty unsure- especially when filling out the tax field.
  3. Amazon do not allow you to put up a free eBook. Yeah, I know, this confused me as well! You have two options for royalties, 35% and 70%, which means that you have to have some cost for the eBook so that Amazon can make some money as well as yourself. The way to get your eBook up for free is by using a site called 'Smashwords' which explains how to get your book up on their site. The only disadvantage is that you need your own cover.
  4. Proof read, proof read and proof read!! Enough said.
  5. Market your book like crazy. It is down to you completely to advertise your book so get on social media and use your mailing list to your full advantage. It is down to you and you solely to get the word out so get cracking! If people haven't got a kindle, they can download the Kindle Reading App from most devices with apps.
If you need any further advice, feel free to message me and I'll try and answer any of your questions.

You can find my eBook here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youth-Centre-SOS-Short-Story-ebook/dp/B00LH22AXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404676374&sr=8-1&keywords=Youth+Centre+SOS

Or the first instalment of it can be read at Shout Out UK here: http://www.shoutoutuk.org/2014/07/06/youth-centre-sos-part-1-mary-lou-fletcher/